Saturday, 13 March 2010

Back in Cambodia

I am back in Cambodia and this time it feels so right and good to be back.
This is the place I mend to be this time in my life and the last few days in Phnom Penh Henk and I have met such helpful and good people.
I am sure these people are put on our way for a reason and to point us in the right direction.
Henk has not been very well the last few days with a bug picked up somewhere,but I hope this will only last for a few days.
We came through customs easy this time and with all our luggage.
Tuesday we will leave for Wat Opot in the Takeo province and we have a driver taking us by car with all our luggage,much easier then by tuk tuk.
Today we met this amazing man Gunther from Germany.
We were having a bit of lunch at a little cafe near the Mekong river and this older gentleman parked a dusty
Mercedes truck near us and also had a bit to eat.
We started talking to him and he told some of his stories,this man traveled together with his wife all over the world in his truck from Africa to Russia,Afghanistan to Australia and they did this for the last 20 years!
He gave us a map of all the places they went and next year he will go back to Germany and then his truck with the world map with all his travels will placed in the Mercedes car museum in Germany.
He gave us a map of his travels for us to keep.

We are back in Phnom Penh for a weekend after spending 2 weeks at Wat Opot,Takeo Province.
The first week I did a lot of cleaning and setting up the craft room again,motivation was a bit low when Henk and I arrived and not much was done in the last few months with making products for the craft shop or for orders.
The second week with help from volunteers most things were sorted and about two days ago I started making earrings with Sito, a lady living at Wat Opot and Screy Aun one of the girls.
Also on Wednesdays I am teaching jewellery making with some of the village girls and ladies and our first session went really well.
I showed how to make earrings with wire and teaching them to make the earring hooks as well.
Arun,the lady were we held the class had to send the ladies home,because no one wanted to leave,for them it was like a treasure cove with all the different beads,great fun!
Henk has been busy with setting up a little cafe,now don't expect a coffee machine and refrigerated display.
All very simple with a fridge for drinks and a very old stove to do the baking.
Coming week the cafe can open for only a few hours a day.
Also Henk bought two guitars and can teach the older boys some guitar playing and keyboard.
We had a bit of adjusting to do,the village is very hot and dusty,but luckily a great thunder storm overnight cleared the air and washed the dust of the trees.
We also needed adjusting to life at Wat Opot and the relationships between people and children.
Life can be tough here, little operations without local anaesthetics; Mark one of the volunteers cut his foot badly and needed stitches done.
The children's motivation towards going to school or doing chores around the place,adults not talking to each other because they had a argument.
But things get done and the community functions.
Henk and I trying to find our way and learning to take each day as it presents itself.
The children's clothing Wendy made I gave to the village children,because they have even less then the children at Wat Opot.
The children with mothers or aunties waited unknown to me for about an hour to come and receive the clothing and I felt so humble because each child was so happy with just one outfit. Thank you Wendy!
Tomorrow back to the village and my next post will be when we are back in Phnom Penh,if you read this blog and in any way want to support our work here,please contact me
I need craft wire for making jewellery and I can get this from Bangkok if needed.
Till next time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment